Building an email list is one of the most reliable marketing channels you can access as a business in 2021. According to Smart Insights, conversion rates for emails are higher than social media and direct traffic. But what makes email lists really great is that they are wholly owned by you. Unlike fleeting social media platforms, email is likely to be around for a very long time. Think about the many platforms which once thrived but have now died or lost a huge amount of users – MySpace, Vine, Bebo, Tumblr… the list goes on. When it comes to building an audience, it is risky to put all your eggs in one basket, especially when that basket is as volatile as a social media platform which may not be around in the years to come. Now you know why email lists are important, let’s take a look at some of the best strategies for building a strong audience via email.
12 Strategies to Get Sign Ups
1. Create a lead magnet – Offer your audience something extremely valuable in exchange for them signing up to your mailing list. This could be a free guide, sample, trial, newsletter, consultation, or anything else you think would be useful to your audience.
2. Start blogging – Providing valuable insights via your blog can help to get eyes on your website. Once you have got the attention, you can then start diverting your audience towards your email list if they want to hear more.
3. Host a giveaway – Require participants to sign up to your mailing list to enter the giveaway.
4. Produce valuable and attractive email content – Make your emails worth signing up for! Offer insights which your audience can’t find anywhere else.
5. Create gated content – Make a section or page of your website gated. This means your visitors will be required to enter their email address in order to access certain areas of your website.
6. Offer a discount code – Online retailers often offer their customers a discount on their first order in return for signing up to their mailing list. This is one of the most effective ways to build your email list if you’re selling products online!
7. Offer a free tool or software service – Is there an aspect of your digital product that you could offer for free? If so, give it away for free in return for mailing list sign ups. This method works particularly well because the limited version of your product can leave your customers wanting more and will act as a gateway to your paid version (only if your product is good!).
8. Use social media ads – Drive traffic to your opt-in landing page via social media. Use your creative and copywriting skills to draw your audience in. If you lack these skills, perhaps consider hiring a freelancer from Fivver to help.
9. Add call-to-actions to your social media pages – Encourage your social media followers to sign up to your mailing list by adding a link to your bio or profile page.
10. Create a quiz – Quizzes can be a fun way to engage your audience. Require participants to enter their email addresses before they can view their results. You can use tools such as uQuiz to create a quiz and embed it on your website.
11. Answer questions on Quora – Quora is a platform that allows its users to ask questions and connect with people who contribute unique insights and quality answers. Try searching for and answering questions that relate to your industry or offering, then add a link to your opt-in landing page in your reply.
12. Draw attention on Pinterest – Pinterest is an image sharing platform which enables people to discover new ideas like recipes, home, and style inspiration. You can use this platform to your advantage by creating topical “boards” and “pinning” compelling visual imagery with links to your opt-in landing page and mailing list.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article. We hope you now have a better understanding of how you can start building your email list. If you have any questions regarding the topics discussed in this article, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Our friendly team is always happy to help!