5 Rules for Choosing A Domain Name

Your domain name is an integral part of your online identity. Simply put, a domain name is an online address – the digital coordinates where customers can find you quickly and easily. Choosing the right domain name is extremely important to improve your visibility and accessibility on the internet. The purpose of this article is to outline 5 rules that you should follow when choosing a new domain.

1. Keep it short and relevant

Longwinded and lengthy domain names are undesirable. Make your domain name short and easy to spell. This will make it easier for internet users to search for your business and quickly find you. You should also ensure that your domain name is relevant to your industry. We recommend that you include the words of your profession in your domain name e.g. “topcars.com”. This will improve your SEO ranking in Google, helping to boost your online presence.

2. Avoid using numbers and dashes

Numbers can create confusion amongst customers. Let’s say you choose “10outof10.com” as your domain name. 90% of internet users may get it right, but what if the other 10% of users are typing “tenoutoften.com”? You’ll be missing out on a significant amount of traffic as your website grows. Avoid using numbers, it’s not worth the risk!

If the domain you want is taken, you may be tempted to add some dashes – Don’t! If your website is “top-cars.com”, they will likely be searching for “topcars.com”, thus making it difficult for them to find your website. Finding a unique domain name which doesn’t require you to use dashes will pay dividends in the long-run.

3. Always go for .com

The “.com” extension is always the best option. If your domain name is available with this extension, you should always choose it over any other extension. However, getting a domain which ends in “.com” can be difficult due to its limited availability. If you can’t get “.com”, try the domain of your country i.e. “.co.uk”.

Or, perhaps try the other popular alternatives listed below:

.biz

.net

.org

.info

4. Make it memorable

This rule may seem obvious. However, it’s worth mentioning as this factor can sometimes get lost when you start trying different combinations of words in search of an available domain. We recommend writing down a list of 5-10 domain names, then try forgetting about it. The next day, sit down and think about the list of names. Find out which names come to your head first, and which ones you’ve simply forgotten. If you can’t remember some names you wrote down yesterday, then neither will your customers.

5. Use synonyms

If like the rest of us your desired domain name is already taken, try using different words associated with your business/industry. A useful tool for finding new buzzwords can be found here.

You can use this tool by searching for a word you would like to find synonyms for e.g. “cars”. This search will return words such as: Auto, Automobile, Motor, Wheels, etc. Using this tip, you should now be able to find an available domain name which is relevant to your business and industry, without sacrificing the powerful “.com” extension.

Final Thoughts

We hope this article helped you understand how to choose the right domain name for your business. If you need help with choosing your domain name or any other aspect of digital marketing, we are here to help. Power up your business today with Soft Sell Digital!

Olly Eastham